Filling The Gaps In Patients’ Teeth
Flippers And Removable Partial Dentures in North Ogden
Everyone wants a beautiful smile, and missing teeth can impact that desire. In addition, having gaps can also have a detrimental effect on oral health. At Cobble Creek Dental, in North Ogden, Utah, we offer our patients several options for replacing teeth.
Our dental restorations are made from high-quality materials to ensure they are functional and natural-looking. For those missing one or more teeth, flippers and removable dentures temporarily fix gaps in smiles. They are an excellent option to maintain a functioning, beautiful smile while waiting for a more permanent dental solution.
What are Dental Flippers and Removable Partial Dentures?
Flipper dentures and removable partial dentures are temporary tooth replacements for patients who have lost a tooth. They are typically used while a patient is healing before dental implants or for younger patients whose jaw has not yet developed enough for dental implants. A dental flipper or partial denture aims to fill in any visible gaps in the smile and allow you to eat comfortably while waiting for the final restoration.
Dental flippers are an excellent option for patients because they are inexpensive to maintain a smile’s appearance. Read more about it here.
Is a Flipper the Same as a Removable Partial Denture?
A partial denture is a more significant appliance than flippers because they replace multiple missing teeth that are not necessarily in a row. A partial denture is a removable piece of dental hardware that consists of a gum-colored acrylic base. A replacement tooth is fixed to the acrylic base in the position of your missing tooth.
Partial dentures may have a metal framework or cast metal clasps that connect to the teeth for a sturdy fit. They are great for replacing multiple lost teeth but not an entire top or bottom set like complete dentures. Follow this link to learn more.
Removable partial dentures are designed for eating. There shouldn’t be discomfort or slippage during meals. However, soft foods are recommended until you become more accustomed to the feel.
Flipper teeth fill in the gap created by one or two teeth. They are made by taking an impression of your mouth. They are a gum-colored acrylic retainer tray on your top or lower jaw with one or two teeth connected while waiting for a permanent solution.
Flippers can easily be popped in and out, which is excellent for keeping them clean. A flipper tooth is a temporary solution only used while waiting for a permanent option.
The four basic types of removable flippers are:
- A removable dental flipper looks like an orthodontic retainer with 1-2 teeth attached to fill in your smile’s gaps.
- A delineator is very similar to a removable retainer type. Still, it’s made of more pliable material and only suitable for some patients.
- Essix style retainer is an invisible aligner tray with a tooth or teeth connected inside it.
- Snap-on smile covers multiple teeth and resembles a removable bridge.
What are the Benefits of Dental Flippers and Removable Partial Dentures?
- Affordable – They restore the smile’s appearance and function while patients save money for a more permanent solution.
- Immediate – They can be quickly made before tooth extraction. Often you can get them in 1-2 days.
- Comfortable – They are very light, so patients can more easily adjust to wearing them.
- Natural appearance – It covers the gaps created by losing your natural teeth and gives you a full smile.
- Stabilizes existing teeth – They help your existing tooth from shifting towards the gap formed by the missing teeth.
- Convenient – They are super easy to wear and convenient to remove and replace.
- Easy Cleaning – Unlike fixed partial dentures and fixed bridges, they are removable and easy to keep clean.
How do I Care for Dental Flippers and Removable Partial Dentures?
Taking them out before bed is essential to decrease the risk of gum disease and damage to the appliance. Clean the dental flipper by using a soft-bristled toothbrush and denture cleaner. Do not let them soak the mouthwash. The flipper must be rinsed in lukewarm water and stored in the water overnight so it does not dry out.
Do You Need a Flipper or Removable Partial Denture in North Ogden?
If you’re looking for a way to fill those gaps while you wait for a dental implant, call Cobble Creek Dental at (801) 399-0458. Dr. Harris and Dr. Wilkins can determine which type of flipper best suits your situation so you can have your complete smile back!